Many who follow the latest trends in the health and wellness world have likely heard of cannabidiol, or CBD for short. Following the recent passage of the Farm Bill of 2018 legalizing hemp products containing less than 0.3% THC, CBD burst onto the national market to great enthusiasm. This is certainly understandable in light of the numerous health benefits it offers in a safe and natural way. While many are familiar with CBD, however, most of us are less familiar with another valuable compound produced by the hemp plant – terpenes.
What Are Terpenes, Anyway?
This is an understandable question as the hemp plant actually contains many, many different types of compounds that are beneficial to our health. If you have ever inhaled the appealing scent of sage or lavender, you can thank terpenes for the fragrance. Terpene molecules are actually what give plants and flowers their wide variety of scents. It is widely believed that the fragrance provided by terpenes help plants to survive and thrive by repelling predators and attracting pollinators, which ultimately enhances overall plant development. In addition to filling our world with fragrant smells, however, terpenes are also quite good for our health.
Terpenes are essentially compounds that are produced by plants and serve important functions in addition to providing fragrance. The cannabis plant alone is thought to produce over 100 different types of terpenes. Research indicates that terpenes interact in a synergistic way with other compounds in the cannabis plant, including cannabinoids like CBD. What happens is that, when CBD and terpenes are consumed together, an “entourage effect” is experienced. This effect enhances the beneficial properties of both the terpenes and cannabinoids for maximum health benefit.
While this synergistic effect is beneficial, terpenes are thought to have many unique health benefits in their own right, including promoting relaxation and stress relief, encouraging focus, and elevating mood. Some terpenes that have been specifically noted for their beneficial health effects include:
- Myrcene: Found to reduce resistance in the blood-brain barrier, enabling easier passage of other beneficial chemicals and compounds.
- Pinene: Helps to counteract memory difficulties and enhance cognitive well-being.
- Caryophyllene: Helps to counteract anxious feelings and the effects of mood disorders.
- Linalool and Limonene: Helps to improve skin health and provide antibacterial benefits.
These beneficial terpenes are only a few examples of many. Understandably, there has been significant interest lately in the various ways that terpenes can be consumed to experience these health benefits.
One way, certainly, is to consume a broad-spectrum CBD oil blend, like those produced by Om Grown Organics. Broad-spectrum blends (as opposed to isolate blends that contain only CBD), include not only CBD but also many other beneficial terpenes, flavonoids, and other helpful compounds produced by the cannabis plant. Even better, broad-spectrum products produced at Om Grown Organics contain absolutely no THC. This is a result of the high-tech extraction and purification processes that are implemented in the production process. As a result, those using Om Grown Organics products experience all of the beneficial health effects that they want without any unwanted side effects that they don’t.
Aside from taking CBD products, however, many are also discovering that another way to obtain the valuable health benefits of terpenes is by consuming terpene-rich foods. The good news is that a wide variety of such foods is available with significant potential health benefits for those who consume those foods.
Terpene-Rich Foods and Their Health Benefits
The good news is that, to find readily available and nutritious sources of terpenes, you need look no further than your local grocery store. There are actually many foods that are quite common and easily found that contain abundant terpenes to help enhance your diet and encourage greater health and well-being. Here are just a few of many:
- Mangoes: Mangoes have an extremely high myrcene content. Myrcene is thought to have very beneficial antioxidant effects as well as assisting in boosting the immune system, clearing skin, and providing a number of other benefits. Myrcene is also thought to assist in helping other nutritional compounds to move faster through the blood brain barrier, thereby encouraging beneficial health effects to occur at a faster rate.
- Herbs and spices: Several herbs and spices (such as thyme, sage, and bay to name a few) contain beneficial terpenes including pinene, which is thought to help elevate mood and improve overall feelings of well-being. Other herbs (like lemon thyme, lemon basil, or lemongrass) contain limonene, a citrusy scented terpene that also provides relief from feelings of stress and promotes overall feelings of calm and well-being. These terpenes are also thought to produce antioxidant benefits and pain relief as well
- Broccoli: Broccoli contains high levels of the terpene beta-caryophyllene, which, when consumed, works in synergy with cannabinoids to produce beneficial health effects like reducing pain and improving mood.
These are only a few examples of many foods that contain terpenes. And in order to obtain the benefits of terpenes, eating these foods is a sound health decision – not to mention a delicious one. In addition to eating these foods, consuming a broad spectrum CBD product (like those produced by Om Grown Organics, which contain terpenes as well) is also a wise health choice. When terpenes are consumed, the synergistic effect that they have with CBD, and the entourage effect produced, has beneficial effects. These effects can be felt throughout your body and can markedly increase overall feelings of vitality, improve mood, and generally enhance well-being.
Companies like Om Grown Organics, with premium production methods and high attention to quality, use only the most refined extraction and purification processes to ensure that the terpenes and cannabinoids, as well as other beneficial compounds you want, are preserved. We believe that a product is only as good as the methods used to manufacture it, and that is why we manufacture each of our products with the highest focus on quality. If you have any additional questions about terpenes, cannabinoids, or other CBD-related questions in general, we would be more than happy to answer them. Enhancing good health through premium products is our passion. Visit us today.